Updated February 10th, 2024
Do you yearn for a new life abroad? To experience different cultures and elevate your quality of living? Every year, millions of people make the move to a foreign land in search of a better future. But how do you decide which are the best countries to live in?
The Human Development Index compiles an annual world report that uses the terms of quality of life to decipher what is known as a World Happiness List. These quality of life terms can include: does it have a fantastic and preferably free education system, does it legalize same-sex marriage, does it have universal health coverage, or does it have a highly developed service sector?
This article seeks to guide you in selecting the ideal country for 2024. We’ve compiled a list of the 7 best countries to live in. From Portugal to Antigua and Barbuda- read on to find out which countries made our list for the year!
Portugal is a wonderful country with plenty of outdoor activities, including surfing, hiking, and mountain biking. Portugal is also one of the easiest European countries to get citizenship in 2024.
- Low cost of living: Portugal is one of the most affordable countries in Europe, with a high quality of life. The cost of living ranges from €1465 to €3780 monthly.
- Stable economy: Portugal’s strong and growing economy offers plenty of job opportunities for those looking to settle abroad.
- Excellent healthcare and education system: Portuguese universities rank among the best in the world and offer some of the most competitive tuition fees. The healthcare in Portugal is also rated very highly.
- Beautiful landscapes: With its stunning beaches and mountain ranges, Portugal offers an excellent setting for nature lovers.
- Dual citizenship: Portugal allows dual citizenship through its Residency by Investment Program or Golden Visa program, which are both popular routes to residency in 2024. Find out more on the Portuguese Residency by Investment program.
If you’re looking for an idyllic Caribbean island to settle in, look no further than Antigua and Barbuda. Its stunning beaches, vibrant culture, and friendly people make it the perfect place to start a new life. The new, streamlined citizenship application system allows you to become an Antiguan and Barbudan citizen in less than 6 months.
What Makes Antigua & Barbuda One of the Best Countries To Live In?
- Tax benefits: Antigua and Barbuda is one of the most attractive tax countries in the world, with no personal income or capital gains taxes (however, there are other taxes you must pay). You will also benefit from duty-free trading and a fixed USD currency exchange rate.
- Cost of living: Antigua and Barbuda offers a low cost of living, which allows your dollar to stretch further!
- A tourist destination: The country’s picture-perfect beaches make it a popular tourist destination, meaning there are plenty of job opportunities for those looking to work in hospitality or tourism.
- Family visas: You can easily extend your visa to include family members and enjoy various social benefits, such as free healthcare and education.
- Citizenship program: The country’s Citizenship by Investment Program is one of the most straightforward and efficient in the world, making it easy to become a citizen. Find out more on the Antigua and Barbuda citizenship program now.
- Dual citizenship: Antigua and Barbuda allows dual citizenship, so you won’t have to give up your current nationality when applying for citizenship and can enjoy all the benefits of dual citizenship.
Turkey is one of the most attractive and best countries to live in for 2024, with its low cost of living and booming economy. Turkish cities are also becoming increasingly popular among expats due to their high quality of life and excellent job opportunities.
What Makes Turkey One of the Best Countries To Live In?
- Excellent geolocation: Turkey is located between two continents and four seas, making it a great place to explore both European and Asian cultures.
- Low cost of living: Turkey’s cost of living is one of the lowest in Europe, making it an ideal destination for those looking to stretch their budget.
- Business incentives: The Turkish government offers many incentives and tax reliefs for businesses in specific sectors, including R&D, manufacturing, export, and innovation.
- Affordable housing: Property prices in Turkey are much lower than in most European countries, meaning you can find great value when looking for a home.
- Generous visa policies: Turkish citizens enjoy generous visa-free travel opportunities throughout the Schengen Area and many other countries, including Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
- Strong economy: Turkey has seen significant economic growth over the past decade, and with 11.4% annual GDP growth, it is now one of the world’s fastest-growing economies.
- Pathway to the USA: By applying for Turkish Citizenship by investment visa, you may also become eligible for the USA E-2 visa and relocate to the USA with your family. Find out more on the Turkish Citizenship by Investment program.
With some of the most accessible immigration and permanent residency programs, Canada offers an outstanding quality of life and highly competitive job opportunities. It also provides one of the world’s most affordable education systems, making it an excellent choice for families with children.
What Makes Canada One of the Best Countries To Live In?
- Stable economy: Canada has the 10th largest economy in the world, offering a secure and stable environment for you and your family
- High quality of life: Canada ranks among the top 3 countries in terms of quality of life, according to many recent surveys. It also has one of the world’s most generous social safety nets. Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto are among the best cities in the world to live in.
- High wages: Canadian wages are among the highest in the world, and its unemployment rate is one of the lowest.
- Social protection: Canadians are well-protected by the government, with access to various social benefits, such as health insurance and subsidized housing.
- Immigration policies: Canada’s immigration system is one of the most welcoming in the world, making it an excellent option for those looking to settle abroad. Express Entry, Provincial Nomination Programs, and Family Sponsorship are just some of the routes available.
Australia is an excellent choice for those looking to start anew, as it’s home to some of the world’s most welcoming and diverse cities. With its strong economy, high wages, and excellent healthcare system, Australia is among the best countries of 2024.
What Makes Australia One of the Best Countries To Live In?
- High wages: Australia’s average wage is among the highest in the world, and its minimum wage is AUD 23.23 per hour – significantly higher than most countries.
- Quality of life: Australia ranks highly on quality of life surveys, with its cities offering an excellent range of culture and leisure activities.
- Safety: Australia is known for being a safe country that values diversity and tolerance. It also has some of the world’s highest levels of gun control.
- Education system: The education system in Australia is ranked among the best globally, making it an excellent option for those with children.
- Welcoming immigration: Australia offers immigration programs for professionals and investors. Programs include the Business Innovation and Investment Program, the Skilled Independent Visa, and the Employer Nomination Scheme.
With a population of nearly 6 million and a high standard of living, Denmark is one of the best countries to live in in 2024. Despite its small size, it has the world’s 16th-highest GDP per capita, making it an attractive destination for those looking for economic stability.
What Makes Denmark One of the Best Countries To Live In?
- Work-life balance: The OECD Better Life Index identified that only 1% of Denmark’s workforce works for lengthy hours of paid work, much lower than the OECD average of 10%.
- Excellent social benefits: The Danish welfare state provides its citizens with a comprehensive range of benefits, including free healthcare and education, generous parental leave policies, and unemployment insurance.
- High wages: Denmark has one of Europe’s highest minimum wage rates, making it an attractive option for those looking to move abroad.
- Low crime rate: Denmark is known for its low crime rate and a strong sense of safety. Various surveys consistently rank it as one of the safest countries in Europe.
- Multiculturalism: Denmark is well-known for its multicultural environment, with over 8% of the population containing immigrants – making it a great country for those looking to experience different cultures.
Sweden is an excellent option for settling abroad in 2024. The country has consistently ranked among the top 5 nations in terms of quality of life, and its high wages and generous welfare system make it an ideal place to call home.
What Makes Sweden One of the Best Countries To Live In?
- Developed housing market: Sweden has a well-developed housing market with many affordable options. You can find furnished and unfurnished apartments and single-family homes for rent or purchase.
- Education: Sweden is home to some of the best universities in the world, including Stockholm University and Uppsala University. Education is free for both Swedish nationals and those with permanent residence.
- Philanthropic culture: Swedes are renowned for their philanthropy, giving a substantial amount of their national wealth to charitable causes. This dedication to helping others has made the country increasingly multicultural, as it has welcomed refugees worldwide.
- Social protection: Sweden provides an excellent social safety net for its citizens, offering generous unemployment benefits, free healthcare, and subsidized childcare services.
- Immigration policies: Various immigration programs are available for those looking to settle in Sweden permanently or temporarily. The country also offers settlement options for students and entrepreneurs.
When it comes to choosing the best country to live in, there are several factors that you should consider. These include things such as political stability, quality of life, low corporate tax rates, average life expectancy, a good capital city, and even same-sex marriage being legal. It also covers the education system – a country is far more liveable if it provides free secondary and higher education. Read on to see what factors we considered when choosing the best 7 countries to live in 2024.
When deciding on a new home, you want to ensure that the economy is solid and reliable – this will provide you with more job opportunities. Additionally, consider what type of work you can find – does your field have an opening?
Investors should also research tax regulations and other laws affecting their investments. Lastly, check if there’s a cost-effective workforce available; it’ll be essential if you plan to open a business in your chosen country.
Switzerland has been ranked the most economically stable country in the world by US News and World Report. Germany and Canada follow in second and third place, respectively.
Living costs are essential when considering the best places to raise a family. Investigating the prices of necessities like groceries, rent, and education and healthcare costs is vital.
Comparing countries like Mexico or Thailand with more developed nations – like Norway, whose living expenses are among the highest in Europe – will give you a better picture of what to expect.
Moreover, consider that city life can be pricier than rural areas within any given country; Berlin or Munich may be costlier than some settlements in Germany.
Living in a country with robust public services can be a safe and enjoyable experience. When researching your potential new home, consider the quality of public transportation, education, and healthcare available.
Denmark, Germany, Norway, and Sweden are all renowned for their first-class healthcare systems and provide tuition-free higher education to citizens. When it comes to finding a destination that offers both safety and comfort, these countries should top your list!
Culture plays a huge part in your quality of life when settling abroad. Consider what lifestyle suits you best – do you prefer Scandinavia’s outdoorsy, nature-filled environment? Or perhaps a more cosmopolitan city like Paris or London? Research into each country’s culture and customs will help you determine which is ideal for your preferences.
When evaluating your dual citizenship options in 2024, don’t forget to consider your selected country’s climate and environment. For instance, countries like Mexico may be perfect if you’re looking for a country with warm temperatures throughout the year. On the other hand, if cold weather is preferable to you, then countries like Canada or Finland would be better choices.
Moreover, you can research air quality in prospective cities; Norway, Estonia, and New Zealand are among the top countries with excellent air quality.
Safety should always be a priority when selecting the best country to live in. Look for countries with low crime rates, robust law enforcement systems, and supportive social services like mental health care. Singapore, Japan, and Qatar are ranked as some of the safest countries in the world.
Finally, it’s also essential to research a country’s immigration policies – to ensure you can obtain your desired visa before moving.
The Best Countries to Live In
Choosing the ideal country to call home in 2024 requires careful deliberation. From economic opportunities and job security to lifestyle choices and dual citizenship options, there are many factors to consider before making your final decision.
Our top 7 picks for the best countries to live in provide an excellent starting point for those looking abroad this year. Ultimately, it’s up to you and your family to decide which option best aligns with your goals and dreams.
Relocating is a life-altering decision that can bring immense satisfaction, but even minor missteps during the application process can result in financial losses and wasted time. To ensure your seamless transition, research thoroughly, seek professional advice, and plan for all eventualities.
At Next Generation Equity, we are proud to be one of the most reputable facilitators of dual citizenship and alternative residency applications across Europe and the Caribbean. To learn more about what options are available to you and your family, book a free consultation with our experts today!